Friday, October 28, 2011

cake in a jar.








For two of my best friends birthday's we had brunch at my friend Emily's gorgeous house. I brought these cakes in a jar that were inspired by the photo below and also by a friends "cake cup" company in Brooklyn, Bee's Knees.

You can see that mine did not turn out like the photo below. I must have tried making these 4 different ways. I tried baking them in the jar, twice...once with less batter. I couldn't get them to cook all the way through before burning on top. I then tried baking them in a pan and using the lid to cut out perfect circles (that's what they did below), but I quickly realized the circles crumbled apart while trying to layer them in the jar. After 3 days of experimenting, I then decided to crumble up the cake and call it a day. ARGH. Now that I know the way it works best, it is easy as pie...or should I say cake?

I made two flavors. One is yellow cake with vanilla frosting and candy corn sprinkled in the middle and on top. The second is spice cake with apples and pecans and a cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Let.Me.Tell.You. This dessert is only for the serious sweet tooth. There is SO much cake and it is SO sweet. Drew and I couldn't even finish one together.

I really photographed these jars for practice, but thought they were blog worthy in the end. ;)

Hope you all don't OD on candy this weekend!

Candy Corn Cake Candy Corn Cake in a Jar

courtesy of babble.com



No comments:

Post a Comment